Thursday, 7 May 2015

Two Wolves


An old Cherokee told his grandson:

My son, there is a battle 
between two wolves inside us all.

One is evil.
It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, 
regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, 
false pride, superiority and ego.

The other is good.
It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity,
humility, kindness, benevolence, 
generosity, empathy and truth.
The grandson thought about 
this for a minute and then 
asked the grandfather, 

Which wolf wins?

The old cherokee simply replied....

The one you feed.




I recently bought myself the book 'Calm' to treat myself and stumbled across this beautiful cherokee proverb. Most of you will be able to relate to one of these wolves... if not both and I think this proverb is the perfect way to look at the battle we all feel at least once in our lives. 

We all constantly have that fight inside us, where the first wolf will take over, and with the constant hustle and bustle of the world around us, we can find it hard to switch our mind off and enjoy the true nature of life. Social media keeps us staring at our phones and laptops. New technology makes it way too easy for distractions. We constantly spend our days staring at screens waiting for new notifications, obsessing over what everyone else is doing in the world, instead of focussing on us.

I'm a sucker for it too, and I can spend all my free time flicking my way through Instagram, Facebook and twitter, whilst wondering what I'm doing with my own life. 

So I stopped. I took some time away from social media and started my investigation into 'mindfulness.' 

It's silly how we no longer exercise our mind. It's a muscle so we should be building it and taking control. Focusing on the now and how our own body feels. I'm not an expert on the subject but it's something I want to learn. It has so many benefits and helps your stress levels aswell as your creativity. I recently wrote a post about an app called 'headspace' which you can find here, which can help you with a 10 minute meditation course over 10 days. Perfect for beginners like me.

I would also like to recommend an awesome blog that can help you through mindfulness. Check out my dear friend Kimberley Robinson and her blog 'Keepin' it Real'. Along with some beautiful dotwork illustration and her upcoming 'Keep Real' brand who donates money to the charity 'Mind'. Kimberley writes with positivity and understanding of how mindfulness works. Her blog posts are inspirational and informative and well worth the read.

So I'm beginning a new journey into 'mindfulness' it's going to be a tough one but I hope I can let the second wolf grow. I'll be feeding him through meditation, healthy eating, decluttering, exercise and writing. As the saying goes 'A dog is a human's best friend' so i hope my inner wolf can bring me creativity and happiness.

I sound like a hippy but hell why not!!

If you guys have any awesome blogs or books you would like to recommend, please don't hesitate to send me a message :) 

Thank you for taking your time to read this :) 



bloglovin'     instagram       facebook       twitter    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...