Saturday, 25 April 2015

Who is P.O.P.E??




P.O.P.E, which stands for 'Persistence Overthrows Power Every time" pushes the boundaries within his spoken word and music, creating a powerful meaning to his name. The talented artist looks at different areas of society, and has a keen eye to look through a disguised world, and draws out the problems and issues within his lyrics. A lot of focus is around religion and the contrast between this and faith. With so many news articles and updates of the war of religion, how can one not look at this subject without reflecting upon it.

So let's get to know the man behind the name and his inspiration for his spoken word poetry.

So who is P.O.P.E?
My real name is James Yates Hothersall, but Jamie for short.

What inspires you?
I get inspired by society and how crazy everything is and how it is the 'norm' that we are expected to deal with it. It makes me mad. It's insane!

Why did you go into spoken word?
Since I was a teenager I've always been writing songs. I'm interested in lyrics and how words can mean so much. I suppose I wanted to look at just the lyrics without forming any musical boundaries.

Who would you say your idols are?
I like people who don't conform and have gone against the grain. Musically I would say 'Bob Dylan' and 'Zach de la Rocha'. I also take inspiration from writers such as 'George Orwell' and 'Dostoyevsky'.

So you've got a new video out called 'Simple Simon'. What does it mean?
I wanted to look at how the government show the world what they want us as a society to see. They make it out as if the Iraq War was fine and the 'norm' as they used it as an excuse to gain more oil, but when the youth fight back with riots, they class it as dangerous and out of order. It is hypocrisy at it's finest.
The person who speaks for the country has never had to struggle when they talk about the views of the country, but will never help the people who are struggling and can't afford. Elections mean nothing and whoever comes into power will do exactly the same as the one before them. Just because they have the position of power does not make them right. We have seen dictators in the same positions and they were wrong so what makes them any different.

What do you want to show within your poetry?
I want people to think about my lyrics instead of generic pop songs and to know that I really put thought into them. I also hope it will send the message that you shouldn't be afraid of what people think about you.

What keeps you going with your spoken word?
I like competition and competing against myself. There is nothing better than writing a line that will get people thinking. It's very much like a riddle, you have all the words, you just need the right ones to form that perfect line.

So as you know I'm an Illustrator and a big fan of creativity. So what makes spoken word 'art'?
I'd class it as art because it's creative and you can do whatever you like, our only guidelines are; USE WORDS! With poetry and music you have no boundaries and it's your own imagination from your own perspective. I suppose it's like the first riff you learn on guitar is 'Hey Joe' by "Hendrix'. However you play it no-one can play it like him. Even when broken down to the basics, everyone brings a different sound or perspective to what they create.

Finally, from watching your video we can see how much society bother you, so give us a rant?
What pisses you off and why?
Humans. The majority of people are self absorbed and don't help one another. If people have a problem they should say it instead of keeping quiet and following others like sheep, as it feels like we're taking a step back instead of evolving. Back in the 40s and 50s we had more creativity within music as Swing and Jazz took over. We had the anti- Prohibition where people joined as a mass to change things. Nowadays anything that can be changed for the good is put on the back row, whilst we hear about the elections, fashion and celebrities as headline stories instead of focusing on the real horrors in the world. It angers me. I also believe that people should stop being offended at being offended.


Here's P.O.P.E's latest video 'Simple Simon' You can also find him on Twitter , Soundcloud, Instagram and Facebook



Thank you for taking your time to read this :)

bloglovin'     instagram       facebook       twitter    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...