Tuesday, 31 March 2015

Down the rabbit hole.


Are you addicted to anything? As a girl i should be obsessed with shoes and buying clothes... the typical idea of any woman. But no... books are my downfall. I can spend a fortune on them from magazines to little zines to full on hardback novels. Anything that can take me away for a few seconds into a completely different world. I'd rather sit on the floor of a charity book shop flicking my way through various books than trail around the high street fashion shops.

I love the feeling of disappearing down that rabbit hole into a fantasy land where inspiration runs wild. The smell of an old book and the feel of it within your hands.... I guess I'll never own a kindle.

As an illustrator I take a lot of inspiration from books and have found myself illustrating quite a few separate stories. Back at university i created this Book cover Design of one of my favourite books 'Memoirs of a Geisha' by Arthur Golden.

This book is beautiful if you haven't read it I recommend you do. It explores the world of Japanese Geisha and once you start reading it you feel as if you are there. The film brought out of this book is a good representation, but for me the book wins me over every time. 

Back in 2012 I read Angela Carter's 'Bloody Chamber and other stories'. Angela Carter brings together a series of fairytales with a twist all featuring a female protagonist. After reading these I had to give it a go at illustrating 3 of the stories. I wrote a little write up here a while ago. 

I chose; 'The Bloody Chamber' based on the story of Black Beard. 
'Company of the Wolves' based on Little Red Riding Hood
and finally "Puss in Boots'

Since then I have been very lucky to have worked with a group of people on an anthology. Illustrating a number of stories for them based around the Octopus. 'Suction Cup: An Octopus Anthology' by 'Obsolescent.info' can be bought in soft back or kindle holds 11 beautiful and weird stories. 



The rest can be found on my website or Facebook 


I've recently found a cool instagram page whose given me so much book inspiration, check out-  Igreads. Also GoodReads is a nice site to get recommendations for new reads. I'm currently fighting my way through the Game of Thrones- Song of Ice and Fire series and have so many stacked up ready to read. 

So what are you guys reading at the moment? What's your favourite books? Would love to hear any recommendations. I'll leave you with a list of my top 5 books. 

1. 'Memoirs of a Geisha' by Arthur Golden
2. 'The Hunger Games' (series) by Suzanne Collins
3. 'Crime and Punishment' by Dostoyevsky
4.'A Clockwork Orange' by Anthony Burgess
5. 'Animal Farm' by George Orwell

For updates you can find me on Bloglovin',  Twitter, Instagram and Facebook

Toodles :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...